College visit information and post visit interview
Upcoming college visits:
-University of Missouri on October 10 @ 1:00 pm - 1:30pm -Biola on October 24th @ 2:15pm- 2:45pm -University of Miami- Ohio on October 26 @ 9:30am - 10:00am
Name: Mo Moos College Name: St. Mary’s University Date: 10/3/18
1. Few quick facts: St. Mary’s University is a small, Lasallian Catholic school in Winona, Minnesota. There are 1100 students and when it was founded on the purpose to provide education for all.
2. What is the most popular major? The top majors are Biology, Healthcare, Medical lab, Business, Chemistry, Education, and Criminal Justice.
3. What are a few examples of clubs and activities available to students? There are many different extracurriculars students can do including Theater, Music, Student government, Political clubs, Big brother, Big sister, and many outdoor activities clubs.
4. How are the athletics at your school? At St. Mary’s 35% of students play a sport. The university is a DIII in athletics and is part of the MIAC conference. Their biggest sport is hockey and they also have club and intramurals available.
5. How would you characterize the students who come to your school? The students who come to St. Mary’s want to be involved and are curious. They want to not only make an impact but also be part of a community which is why the campus is highly residential.
6. How easy is it to double major? It is very easy to double major and still graduate in four years since there is a great advising program. Also, every student is required to finish with a minor like the Honors Program.
7. How is it for students when they come undecided (have not picked a major)? It is very easy for students when they come undecided because there is amazing advising provided making it easy. Also, since students become close with professors, many students are quickly drawn into a major or classes they connect well with.
8. Do students study abroad? Many students study abroad since St. Mary’s has their own programs including Rome and London. However, they also share programs with other small private colleges. There is also Lasallian catholic programs available all over the globe which students can do for shorter time periods like during Spring break and over the Summer.
9. How accessible are teachers? Teachers are very accessible since the teacher to student ratio is 1:9 and the average class size is 15. Every professor has office hours but their doors are mostly always open. There are no TA’s which leads to students creating friendships with their teachers even having class at their homes.
10. What is something that you want someone applying to your school to know before applying? Mo said, “if you don’t want to be held accountable in any way, don’t come to St. Mary's”. She said they will hold you accountable in the best way possible and said that they make it hard to fail with all the support the university gives their students.
Past College Post Visit Interview (Press name to go to link)